Name & Motto
Victoria is the name given in 1887 to the medieval town of Gozo. That year it was also raised to the status of a city. In Gozo, it is still known to one and all as Rabat. The city of Victoria embraces both the Citadel, the ancient city of the island, as well as Rabat, the old town of Gozo. Rabat in Arabic and Archaic Maltese stands for suburb. The name first documented as RABBATUM in a notorial deed drawn by Andrea de Beniamin on 22 February 1455. its motto is A magna maxima From great supreme Minn kbira sal-oghla.
Coat of Arms
The coat of arms is Azure three hills Or one and two, upon a chief of the second the letters VR Gules; in other words, three hills in gold on a blue shield, the centre hill higher than the other two, with a golden band with the letters VR (Victoria Regina) in red at the top of the shield. Above the shield is a mural coronet with four echaugettes and a sally-port.
The City of Victoria
In 1887, Rabat, the old name of the main city of Gozo was replaced by Victoria. Rabbath is a word of Phoenician derivation which probably entered our language through the Punic tongue. The official change in name occurred on 10th June 1887, the year of Queen Victoria’s Coronation Golden Jubilee. The Gozitans deemed that this would be a fitting tribute for their Empress-Queen and a commemorative inscription at the Cathedral Square calls to mind this occasion.
Of more than six thousand residents, Victoria is a city in the true sense of the word. Besides being the geographical and commercial hub of the island, it is the core of all the administrative machinery which is characteristic of a metropolitan capital – Government offices, banks, a Cathedral, business firms, schools and a public library, museums, post office, two theatres and six convents housing an equal number of male and female religious Orders. read more